Things to do in South Australia + weather guide
SA is a real gem, and there are plenty of Things to do in South Australia! It’s a wonderful place and always somewhere the staff at Travelwheels Campervan Hire Australia would recommend at any time of the year!
If you enjoy wine, then South Australia has world class wines from the Barossa Valley and a wine tour is a must to really get a feeling for this place. Make sure you park up your Travelwheels campervan and go instead on an organised tour to enjoy all the free samples from the different wine makers!
Two thirds of the whole population of South Australia lives in the Adelaide area as the state is known as “the driest state in the driest continent!”. It’s also famous for the number of festivals, the spectacular flinders mountain range and of course you have another two must see places, Kangaroo Island and the vast outback of South Australia!
Kangaroo Island is Australia’s third largest island and is an amazing place to see wildlife in all its natural beauty. This is a must see stop on your South Australia Adventure, so spend a few days relaxing on the wildlife friendly island and it’s a brilliant place to see the ever growing numbers of Koalas colonies as well!
Outback South Australia is another big hit with Travel Wheels travellers and staying in the underground world of Coober Pedy is another fun thing to do, what out for the disused mine shafts when you are taking your pictures!
Things to do in South Australia – visit Adelaide
The population of Adelaide is approximately one million people, and it is renowned for being a grand old city with excellent art galleries and museums to explore. In additional to this, it’s a great area to use as a base to explore some of the excellent vineyards, the wildlife and beaches which are nearby.
You can even take an old restored 1929 tram from the centre of the city right to the beach in Glenelg. There is also a great cycle path which goes from Glenelg to the centre of Adelaide which is mostly a traffic free cycle path which is a great way to travel into the city and enabling you to explore it on two wheels.
Things to do in South Australia + what is the weather like?
South Australia is renowned for being the driest state in the whole of Australia! This must mean they get a lot of sunshine, so remember to bring your sunhat, sun cream and sun glasses when you visit!
Things to do in South Australia – list of cool places to visit
Below is a list of some of the fantastic things to do in South Australia.
- Visit Kangaroo Island and experience the amazing wildlife
- Swim with the dolphins – a truly magical experience!
- Sample world class wines in the Barossa Valley wineries
- Visit the amazing Flinders Ranges – stunning during spring when all the wild flowers are out – make sure you check out Wilpena Pound mountains
- Hire a 4wd and drive along the Oodnadatt track or go on a 4wd tour of the outback – this is great fun!
- Do one of the great train journeys of the world – take the Ghan train from Adelaide to Alice Springs.
- Explore the underground town of Coober Pedy and mine for opals
- Take the historical tram from Glenelg to Adelaide
- Spend time exploring the beaches of Victor Harbour
- Cruise along the magical Murray river in an old paddle steamer boat!
- Explore Adelaide’s cafes, bars, art galleries and international festivals
- Visit the extensive wine regions of Mclaren Vale, Clare and Coonawarra.
- Mount Gambier – explore the mysterious gray-green lake that turns blue when the summer approaches!
- Nullarbour – cross this amazing road on the way to Western Australia – make sure to stop and spend some time watching the southern right whales for free as they frolic in the seas below you
- Eyre and York Peninsulas – spend days exploring these wonderful sandy bays and be the only footprints on the sand!
- Visit larry the giant lobster!
- Coorong national park – the location for the film and the book, “The Storm Boy” – a beautiful and quiet part of South Australia without any crowds
Things to do in South Australia – hire a campervan
If you are interested in things to do in South Australia then give as a call on 0412766616. The staff at Travelwheels Campervan Hire are passionate about exploring South Australia! We can help plan a trip around Adelaide and South Australia by Campervan for a great price! We can speak English, wir sprechen deutsch, and nous parlons Français ici! Give our team a call on 0412766616 for our best deals on campervan hire in South Australia.
Check out our Cheap Campervan Hire Australia Deals Below
Enter your dates below for our best deals on Campervan Hire Australia Specials. You can always call our team on 0412766616 for more details on our offers available. Our online price checker will give you our lowest rates on camper hire in Australia.